P3GI aims to bolster sugarcane seeds production

Thu, 04/19/2012 - 09:11
IN

The Indonesia Sugarcane Plantation Research Center (P3GI) plans to bolster seed production this year by 77 percent amid acreage expansion by cane farmers and companies.

Aris Toharisman, Head for Business Cooperation at P3GI, was quoted by Kontan on Thursday as saying that seedlings production this year will increase to 23 million units of mother seeds from about 15 million last year.

He said that about 98 percent of output were distributed to farmers, while the remaining 2 percent to plantation companies. He added that the center to date has developed 15 types of seedling varieties.  The 124-year old research centers sells about 70 percent of the seeds in Java, the country’s main sugar production center.  The Pasuruan, East Java-based center is the only research center in the country focusing on sugar research both on farm and off farm. (rei)

Agro Asia News
© 2011 Agro Asia News. All Rights Reserved.